According to the new Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2012 study from healthcare market research and advisory firm Manhattan Research, physicians’ device and digital media adoption are evolving much faster than anticipated, especially when it comes to tablets. The study surveyed 3,015 U.S. practicing physicians online in Q1 2012 across more than 25 specialties.
Striking key findings from the Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2012 study include:
- Tablets, mostly iPads, are mainstream: Physician tablet adoption for professional purposes almost doubled since 2011, reaching 62 percent in 2012, with the iPad being the dominant platform. Furthermore, one-half of tablet-owning physicians have used their device at the point-of-care.
- More screens, more access: Physicians with three screens (tablets, smartphones and desktops/laptops) spend more time online on each device and go online more often during the workday than physicians with one or two screens.
- Physician-only social networks stagnant: Adoption of physician-only social networks remained flat between 2011 and 2012. Additionally, the study found that physicians reach out more frequently to and are more influenced by colleagues they formed relationships with at school or at work than peers who they first connected with online.
- Online video widely used: More than two-thirds of physicians use video to learn and keep up-to-date with clinical information.
- “Physicians are evolving in ways we expected – only faster,” said Monique Levy, Vice President of Research at Manhattan Research. “The skyrocketing adoption rates of tablets alone, especially iPads, means healthcare stakeholders should revisit many of their assumptions about reaching and engaging with this audience.”
About Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2012
Taking the Pulse® U.S. is Manhattan Research’s annual market research study and syndicated advisory service focused on how U.S. physicians use the Internet, digital media, mobile devices and other technologies for professional purposes and patient interaction. Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2012 was fielded online among 3,015 U.S. practicing physicians in Q1 2012. The data can be segmented across a variety of target specialist audiences, including PCPs, pediatricians, cardiologists, oncologists, gastroenterologists and OB/GYNs. For more information, please visit www.manhattanresearch.com/ttp.
About Manhattan Research
Manhattan Research, a Decision Resources Group company, conducts annual research studies covering digital health trends among healthcare professionals and consumers in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Broad research can be segmented by target specialist and therapeutic audiences. For more information please contact , call 1.888.680.0800, ext 2, or visit www.manhattanresearch.com.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group is a cohesive portfolio of companies that offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on important sectors of the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Please visit Decision Resources Group at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.