Assuming that you qualify as an eligible provider under the EHR Incentive Programs administered by CMS, your next step is to register for the Medicare or Medicaid program.
You can call CMS’ EHR Information Center at 1-888-734-6433 weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. with registration inquiries and other program-related issues.
The Information Center reports the following most frequently asked questions about registration:
Question: What information should I have ready before I begin the registration process?
Answer: If you are a Medicare EP, you will need an approved enrollment record in the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS). Medicaid EPs are not required to be enrolled in PECOS.
CMS notes, however, that if you do not have a record in PECOS, you should still register for the incentive programs. Your Medicare EP registration status will remain in an “issue pending” stage until you have an active enrollment record in PECOS.
You will also need:
- A National Provider Identifier (NPI);
- A National Plan and Provider Enumeration System Identity and Access Management ID and password for the individual provider;
- A Payee Tax Identification Number (if you are reassigning your benefits); and
- A Payee NPI (if you are reassigning your benefits).
Question: Which option do I select when registering on behalf of an EP in the Identity and Access Management System?
Answer: Click on “You are requesting to act on behalf of an individual provider.”
Question: How can I check my registration status in the Registration and Attestation System?
Answer: Log in to the Registration and Attestation System and click the Status tab to view your registration information.
Question: How do I re-submit a registration?
Answer: You will need to do the following:
- Log in to the EHR Incentive Program Registration and Attestation System:
- Navigate to the Registration tab”
- Select the Modify action for your registration;
- Select the Personal Information registration topic; and
- Save the updated payee information and submit the registration.
You can also check out guides and resources on the Registration page of the EHR website.