An essential part of registering for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)'s EHR Incentive Programs is successfully enrolling in the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System, known as PECOS. According to CMS, your registration status for the EHR Incentive Programs will display as "issue pending" until you have created an active enrollment record in PECOS.
You'll need to gather the following information to successfully enroll in PECOS:
- An active National Provider Identifier.
- A National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) user ID and password. (PECOS can be accessed with the same user ID and password that you use for NPPES.
- Personal identifying information (legal name, Social Security Number and date of birth).
- Name of school and graduation year.
- Professional license/certification information.
- Practice location.
- Information about any final adverse action(s), if applicable.
- Drug Enforcement Agency number.
If you've already enrolled in PECOS, you should still confirm that your EHR Incentive Program information is correct. Make sure your Medicare Administrative Contractors (MAC) information for claims processing is valid and that it matches your information in the CMS EHR Registration & Attestation System. Click here to find your MAC information.
CMS notes that proper registration for the EHR Incentive Programs will help you resolve any issues that may affect your incentive payment.
You can read the CMS Registration, Attestation and PECOS Checklist for more information.