The 2013 HIMSS Annual Conference and Exhibition, which starts March 3 and runs through March 7 in New Orleans, will be the place to get up to speed on the state of ICD-10 preparations, according to Carl Natale, editor of ICD10Watch. He provides the following suggestions for maximizing your educational opportunities while at the event.
The Official HIMSS13 website is the place to start for planning your time in New Orleans, said Natale.
Here's a day-by-day summary of what you can look forward to:
Sunday: ICD-10 Symposium
The symposium is a day earlier than HIMSS13 and is designed to deliver big picture implementation advice and nitty-gritty tips for healthcare organizations.
- 5010 Lessons Learned: The Go Forward Plan for ICD-10
- From Coding to Communication: ICD-10 Readiness for You and Your Clinical Team
- ICD-10 and Meaningful Use: When Worlds Collide!
- ICD-10: An Opportunity to Improve Financial Enterprise Performance Through Collaboration
- All Hands on Deck for ICD-10 Testing: Progress Report on the HIMSS/WEDI Multi-Stakeholder Pilots
Monday ICD-10 Sessions
- Navigating the ICD-10 Transition
- Project Failure Means Mission Failure: Tame the Mega Project-Spawning Cyclone
- ICD-10 Transition: Building Confidence
- Planning for Success: A Multi-level Approach to Tackling your ICD-10 Transition
- Effects of ICD-10 on HIM and How to Be Talent Ready
Tuesday ICD-10 Sessions
- ICD-10: Compliance Project or a Strategic Initiative?
- Measuring ICD-10's Impact on Coder Productivity
- Unlocking Enterprise-Wide ICD-10 Success
- ICD10 - Using historical data analysis for your ICD10 risk assessment and remediation
- ICD-10 Testing National Pilot Program
- ICD 10: Bigger than an IT issue
- nSure10 ICD-10 Testing Solutions
Wednesday ICD-10 Sessions
- ICD-10: Navigating the Perfect Storm
- ICD-10 Compliance: Learn from International Experience and Harness the Power of Technology and Collaboration
- Vital Lessons Based on Actual Data from Pre- and Post-training Assessments of Over 800 Coders
- Bridging the Gap: How NLU Helps Providers Transition to ICD-10
Not ICD-10 education
Natale also noted that the following aren't ICD-10 sessions, but could help you understand and manage how it fits into your organization:
- SNOMED CT: The Clinical Data Standard
- A Cacophony of CAC Solutions: How's an Organization to Choose?
- Extracting Value from Healthcare "Big Data" with Predictive Analytics
Also, Natale advised that if you're not going to make it to New Orleans, you can still participate in HIMSS13 Online.